If you want to get a driving license in Malaysia, you need to pass the driving license computer test, also known as the JPJ theory test. This test is a mandatory requirement for anyone who wants to apply for a learner’s permit or a full driving license. In this article, we will share with you some tips and tricks on how to ace the driving license computer test in Malaysia in 2023.
What is the driving license computer test?
The driving license computer test is a computer-based examination that tests your knowledge of traffic rules, road signs, and driving skills. The test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions, with a passing mark of 42 questions. The test is conducted in Malay or English, depending on your preference.
The test has two sections:
- The first section is a color blindness test, where you have to identify the colors of different traffic lights and signs. You have to answer 10 questions in this section, and if you fail any of them, you will be disqualified from taking the rest of the test.
- The second section is the main theory test, where you have to answer 40 questions on various topics related to driving, such as speed limits, road markings, vehicle maintenance, emergency situations, and so on. You have 45 minutes to complete this section.
How to prepare for the driving license computer test?
To prepare for the driving license computer test, you need to study the official handbook that covers all the topics that will be tested. You can get the handbook from your driving school or download it online. The handbook contains 500 questions and answers that you need to memorize and understand.
Besides studying the handbook, you can also practice online mock tests that simulate the actual test format and difficulty. There are many websites that offer free practice tests with over 500 questions on traffic rules and road signs. You can try these websites:
By practicing online mock tests, you can familiarize yourself with the types of questions and answers, improve your speed and accuracy, and identify your weak areas.
How to take the driving license computer test?
To take the driving license computer test, you need to register with a certified driving school and complete a 5-hour course called Driver’s Education Curriculum Course (KPP01). This course covers the basic curriculum that you need to learn to drive in Malaysia.
After completing the course, your driving school will arrange an appointment for you to sit for the test at a JPJ-approved test center. You need to bring your identity card (IC) and your KPP01 certificate when you go for the test.
Before you start the test, you will be given instructions on how to use the computer system and answer the questions. You will also be given a sample question to try out. If you have any problems or questions, you can ask the invigilator for help.
During the test, you will see one question at a time on the screen, with four possible answers. You have to click on the correct answer using the mouse. You can skip any question and come back to it later, but you cannot change your answer once you have clicked on it.
After you finish the test, you will see your score on the screen. If you pass the test, you will receive a slip that confirms your result. You can then proceed to the next stage of getting your driving license.
What are some changes in 2023?
In 2023, there are some changes that affect the driving license computer test and other aspects of getting a driving license in Malaysia. Here are some of them:
- Starting from February 10, 2023, it is no longer compulsory to display road tax stickers or physical driving licenses on private vehicles owned by Malaysians. Instead, drivers can use the MyJPJ app to show or screenshot their online data when required by authorities.
- Starting from May 8, 2023, Malaysian citizens can renew their driving licenses for up to 10 years at a time, with a 10% discount for those who choose this option. However, they can only renew their licenses if their remaining validity is less than a year.
- For those who were overseas during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period and could not renew their expired driving licenses, they can do so without needing to retake the driving test until December 31, 2023. This special permission is only for those whose driving licenses expired from January 1, 2018 onwards.
The driving license computer test is an important step to get a driving license in Malaysia. By studying the handbook, practicing online mock tests, and following the instructions, you can ace the test and move on to the next stage. Remember to keep yourself updated with the latest changes and news related to driving in Malaysia, such as the digitalization of road tax and driving license, and the extension of renewal period.
We hope this article has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment below. Good luck and drive safely!