Are you planning to start a business in Malaysia? If yes, then you need to register your business with Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM) or the Companies Commission of Malaysia. This is a legal requirement for all businesses operating in Malaysia, whether online or offline.
But don’t worry, registering your business with SSM is not a complicated process. In fact, you can do it online using the EzBiz portal, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In this article, we will show you how to register SSM online in Malaysia in 5 easy steps.
- What is EzBiz?
- What are the benefits of registering your business with SSM?
- What are the types of business that can be registered with SSM?
- What are the requirements for registering your business with SSM?
- How to register SSM online in Malaysia in 5 easy steps?
- Congratulations, you have successfully registered your business with SSM!
What is EzBiz?
EzBiz is an online business registration service provided by SSM to allow users to do new registration, to register changes, to renew and to terminate business registration. You can access EzBiz at https://ezbiz.ssm.com.my/.
What are the benefits of registering your business with SSM?
Registering your business with SSM has many benefits, such as:
- It gives your business a legal identity and recognition.
- It protects your business name from being used by others.
- It allows you to open a bank account and apply for loans or grants.
- It enables you to comply with tax and accounting regulations.
- It enhances your credibility and reputation among customers and suppliers.
What are the types of business that can be registered with SSM?
There are two types of business that can be registered with SSM:
- Sole proprietorship: A business that is owned by one person only.
- Partnership: A business that is owned by at least two (2) people and not more than twenty (20) partners.
What are the requirements for registering your business with SSM?
To register your business with SSM, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a Malaysian citizen or permanent resident of Malaysia.
- You must be aged 18 years and above.
- You must have a valid MyKad or identity card.
- You must have an email address and a phone number.
- You must have a proposed business name and address.
- You must have a type of business and description of activities.
How to register SSM online in Malaysia in 5 easy steps?
Here are the steps to register SSM online in Malaysia using EzBiz:
Step 1: Sign up for an EzBiz account
- Go to https://ezbiz.ssm.com.my/ and click on the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Choose ‘NRIC’ as the ID type, enter your MyKad number and fill in your name as per MyKad.
- Click on ‘Register’.
- Fill in the required details as instructed, such as email address, password, security question and answer.
- Tick at the declaration part and click on ‘Save’.
- You will receive a notification email from EzBiz.
Step 2: Activate your EzBiz account
- Go to any SSM counter near you with your MyKad and the notification email from EzBiz.
- Request for ID activation and verify your fingerprint (biometric) for security purposes.
- This is a one-time process that confirms your identity and prevents fraud.
- Once activated, you can start using EzBiz online for your business registration.
Step 3: Search for your desired business name
- Log in to EzBiz with your username and password.
- Under ‘Company & Business Information’, click on the ‘Search’ icon.
- Enter your desired business name in the box ‘By Name’.
- Click on ‘Search’.
- Your search results will show if the name is available or not.
- If the name is available, you can proceed to apply for it.
- If the name is not available, you need to choose another name.
Step 4: Apply for your desired business name
- After finding an available name, click on the ‘Apply’ button next to it.
- Fill in the application form with the following information:
- Business address and mailing address.
- Type of business (sole proprietorship or partnership).
- Description of business activities.
- Particulars of owner(s) or partner(s).
- Particulars of branch(es), if any.
- Review your application details and click on ‘Submit’.
- You will receive an email confirmation from EzBiz.
Step 5: Pay for your business registration fee
- After submitting your application, you need to pay for your business registration fee.
- The fee depends on the type and duration of your business registration, as follows:
- Sole proprietorship using personal name: RM30 per year.
- Sole proprietorship using trade name: RM60 per year.
- Partnership using personal name: RM30 per year.
- Partnership using trade name: RM60 per year.
- Branch: RM5 per year for each branch.
- You can pay online using credit card or FPX (online banking).
- You will receive an email receipt from EzBiz.
Congratulations, you have successfully registered your business with SSM!
You can now download and print your business registration certificate from EzBiz. You can also view and update your business information, renew or terminate your business registration, and pay your compound online using EzBiz.
We hope this article has helped you to register SSM online in Malaysia in 5 easy steps. If