If you are looking for a flexible way to earn extra income, becoming a Grab driver-partner might be a good option for you.
Grab is one of the leading e-hailing platforms in Malaysia, offering various services such as GrabCar, GrabFood, GrabMart and GrabExpress.
As a Grab driver-partner, you can enjoy benefits such as instant cash-out, free insurance, subsidies, rewards and more.
But how do you register as a Grab driver-partner in Malaysia? In this article, we will guide you through the steps and requirements to join the Grab community.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Before you apply, make sure you meet the following criteria:
- You are a Malaysian citizen aged between 21 and 69 years old.
- You have a valid driving license (P or CDL).
- You have a vehicle that is not older than 15 years and meets the car eligibility criteria here.
- You have an e-hailing Public Service Vehicle (PSV) license or are willing to obtain one.
- You have a smartphone that can run the Grab driver app.
- You have passed a medical check-up and a background check.
Step 2: Download the Grab driver app and register
The next step is to download the Grab driver app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Once you have installed the app, create an account and complete the registration process. You will need to provide your personal and vehicle details, as well as upload the required documents for verification. These include:
- Your identity card (IC)
- Your driving license
- Your vehicle registration card (grant)
- Your vehicle insurance cover note
- Your e-hailing PSV license or confirmation slip
- Your e-hailing insurance cover note
- Your bank account details
Step 3: Complete the online training
After you have submitted your documents, you will need to complete an online training course on the Grab driver app. The course will cover topics such as:
- How to use the app features and functions
- How to accept and complete bookings
- How to handle customer service and safety issues
- How to comply with the regulations and policies
The course will take about an hour to finish and you will need to pass a quiz at the end. You can access the course by visiting this link on your mobile device.
Step 4: Get your PSV license
If you already have an e-hailing PSV license, you can skip this step. If not, you will need to obtain one before you can start driving with Grab. A PSV license is a legal requirement for all e-hailing drivers in Malaysia since 2019. To get your PSV license, you will need to:
- Register for a PSV course at an approved driving institute. You can find a list of institutes here (Klang Valley only) or visit your nearest Institut Memandu.
- Attend a six-hour theory class and pass a written exam.
- Apply for your PSV license at JPJ with your exam result slip, medical report and other documents.
- Wait for your PSV license to be issued and collect it from JPJ.
Grab will reimburse most of the costs associated with getting your PSV license, such as the course fee, exam fee, medical fee and application fee. You can find out more about the reimbursement process here.
Step 5: Start driving and earning with Grab
Once you have completed all the steps above, you are ready to start driving and earning with Grab.
You can activate your e-hailing service type on your profile and receive ride requests from passengers.
You can also choose to do deliveries for GrabFood, GrabMart and GrabExpress by completing another online training here.
As a Grab driver-partner, you can enjoy various incentives and benefits, such as:
- Instant cash-out of your earnings to your bank account
- Free Group Personal Accident insurance while on the job
- Up to 100% subsidy for your PSV needs
- Free fuel vouchers worth RM300 for new drivers
- Rewards, perks and discounts with GrabBenefits programme
- Additional earnings through referrals or GrabAds
You can also use the Grab driver app to track your earnings, access live updates, navigate your routes, manage your schedule and more.
For more information and support, you can visit the Grab Help Centre or contact Grab via phone, email or chat.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to register as a Grab driver-partner in Malaysia. If you are interested, don’t hesitate to sign up today and join the Grab community. Happy driving!