If you are looking for a budget-friendly smartphone with a large display, a long-lasting battery, and decent performance, the Oppo A18 could be a suitable choice. Launched in October 2023 in Malaysia, this smartphone offers several attractive features for its price range.
In this review, we will examine the Oppo A18’s specifications, performance, camera capabilities, battery life, durability, and pricing to help you decide if it meets your needs.
Here is a quick overview of the Oppo A18’s specifications:
|Processor||MediaTek Helio G85 (octa-core, up to 2.0GHz)|
|GPU||Mali-G52 MC2 @1000MHz|
|RAM||4GB LPDDR4x (expandable up to 8GB with 4GB Expansion technology)|
|Internal Storage||128GB eMMC 5.1 (supports microSDXC)|
|Battery||5000mAh Li-Po (non-removable)|
|Display||6.56-inch IPS LCD, HD+ (1612×720), 90Hz refresh rate, 90Hz touch sampling rate, 720 nits peak brightness|
|Camera||Rear: 8MP main (f/2.0, AF) + 2MP mono (f/2.4, FF)|
Front: 5MP (f/2.2, FF)
|Connectivity||Dual SIM (Nano-SIM), 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.3, USB Type-C, OTG, 3.5mm audio jack|
|Security Features||Fingerprint sensor (side-mounted), face unlock|
|Operating System and Updates||Android 13, ColorOS 13.1|
|Additional Features||IP54 dust and splash resistance, Google Lens, LED flash, panorama|
Performance: Smooth and responsive
The Oppo A18’s hardware specifications, as you’ve detailed, make it a capable budget-friendly smartphone. The MediaTek Helio G85 chipset, coupled with 4GB of RAM (expandable to 8GB with the 4GB Expansion technology), provides adequate performance for everyday tasks and casual gaming. While it may not handle the most demanding games or applications with ease, it should serve the needs of users looking for a budget-friendly device.
The 128GB of internal storage, while not as fast as UFS storage, offers ample space for storing photos, videos, apps, and more. The option to expand storage using a microSDXC card provides further flexibility, allowing users to store additional data without worrying about running out of space.
The inclusion of Android 13 with ColorOS 13.1 offers the latest Android features and Oppo’s customization options, enhancing the user experience. Features such as gesture navigation, theming, split-screen mode, and customization of the interface provide users with a level of personalization and functionality.
In summary, the Oppo A18’s hardware and software combination appears well-suited for users seeking an affordable smartphone for everyday tasks and casual use. While it may not excel in high-end performance, it offers a smooth and responsive experience for its price point.
Camera: Good enough for casual shots
The camera setup on the Oppo A18, as described, offers a basic photography experience suitable for everyday use. Here’s a summary of the camera’s capabilities:
- 8MP main camera with an f/2.0 aperture and autofocus support.
- 2MP mono camera with an f/2.4 aperture and fixed focus.
- Capable of capturing decent photos in well-lit conditions with accurate colors and details.
- Performance tends to degrade noticeably in low-light situations, resulting in increased noise and blur.
- Various shooting modes are available, including night mode for low-light photography, video mode for recording up to 1080p@30fps videos, portrait mode for background blur, time-lapse mode for creating fast-motion videos, pro mode for manual adjustments, panorama mode for wide-angle shots, sticker mode for adding fun elements to photos, and Google Lens for object recognition and information retrieval.
- 5MP front camera with an f/2.2 aperture and fixed focus.
- Suitable for taking acceptable selfies in good lighting conditions with natural skin tones.
- Performance may decline in low-light or backlit situations, resulting in grainy and washed-out selfies.
- Available modes include video mode for recording up to 1080p@30fps videos, photo mode for standard selfies, portrait mode for background blur, time-lapse mode for creating fast-motion selfie videos, and panorama mode for wide-angle selfies.
It’s important to note that while the Oppo A18’s camera system provides basic photography features, it may not deliver the same level of image quality and versatility as higher-end smartphones with more advanced camera setups. However, for users seeking an affordable device for casual photography and social media sharing, the camera should suffice for capturing everyday moments.
Battery: Long-lasting and fast-charging
In the fast-paced world of smartphones, battery life remains a paramount concern for users. Enter the Oppo A18, a device that’s making waves with its standout feature: a massive 5000mAh battery, designed to keep you connected and entertained all day long. Let’s delve into what makes this phone a compelling choice for those who crave enduring power.
The Battery That Keeps Going
At the heart of the Oppo A18 lies its robust 5000mAh battery, a true workhorse that won’t leave you hanging. With moderate usage, this powerhouse can easily stretch through an entire day and then some. Oppo claims that you can enjoy up to an impressive 19 hours of online video playback, indulge in 12 hours of online gaming excitement, or engage in a marathon of 33 hours of calling, all on a single charge.
Fast Charging for Your Convenience
When it’s finally time to recharge, the Oppo A18 has you covered. Thanks to its 18W fast charging support, you can rejuvenate your device swiftly. In just about 40 minutes, you can boost your battery from 0% to 50%, and for a full charge from 0% to 100%, it takes approximately 100 minutes. That means less downtime and more time enjoying your device.
Battery-Saving Features for Extended Enjoyment
But Oppo doesn’t stop there when it comes to optimizing your battery experience. The Oppo A18 offers several battery-saving features that put you in control of your device’s power consumption.
- Super Power Saving Mode: Activate this mode to minimize background activities, allowing you to focus on six essential apps of your choice. This helps conserve battery life when you need it most.
- Smart Power Saving Mode: The phone intelligently adapts its performance and network settings based on your usage patterns, ensuring that power is allocated efficiently to match your needs.
- Sleep Standby Optimization: When night falls, let your phone rest as well. This feature reduces power consumption during idle hours, ensuring your battery doesn’t drain needlessly while you sleep.
Durability: Dust and splash resistant
In the ever-evolving world of smartphones, durability and aesthetics play a crucial role in the user experience. The Oppo A18 strikes a balance with its notable features that blend form and function seamlessly.
IP54 Rating: Dust and Splash Resistant
The Oppo A18 boasts an IP54 rating, offering protection against dust and splashes from any direction. While it can handle a certain level of exposure to these elements, it’s essential to note that this device is not fully waterproof or shockproof. Therefore, exercising care to avoid drops and full submersion in water is still advisable.
Elegant Design in Glowing Black and Glowing Blue
The phone’s exterior is crafted from plastic and adorned with a glossy finish, available in two striking colors: Glowing Black and Glowing Blue. Its curved design not only adds to its aesthetic appeal but also enhances the ergonomic feel, making it comfortable to hold and operate single-handedly.
Quick and Accurate Fingerprint Sensor
Located on the side of the device, the Oppo A18 houses a fingerprint sensor that ensures rapid and precise unlocking. This convenient feature grants you swift access to your phone’s functionalities, enhancing overall usability.
Immersive 6.56-inch IPS LCD Display
The Oppo A18 sports a substantial 6.56-inch IPS LCD display with an HD+ resolution of 1612×720. A 90Hz refresh rate and touch sampling rate contribute to smoother interactions, making it an excellent choice for gamers and multimedia enthusiasts.
With a peak brightness of 720 nits, this display shines brightly, ensuring vibrant visuals even in challenging lighting conditions. While its screen-to-body ratio stands at a commendable 89.80%, it’s worth noting that this display may not match the sharpness and vividness of higher-resolution or OLED counterparts.
Notch and Light Sensor for Enhanced User Experience
At the top of the display, you’ll find a discreet notch that houses the front camera and an earpiece. Additionally, a light sensor hole adjusts brightness automatically based on ambient light levels, enhancing usability in various lighting environments.
However, it’s essential to be mindful of your choice of screen protectors, as those with poor light transmission may obstruct this sensor hole, potentially affecting your phone’s automatic brightness adjustments. Opt for high-quality screen protectors to ensure an uninterrupted viewing experience.
In conclusion, the Oppo A18 offers a resilient design, vibrant display, and user-friendly features that cater to a variety of preferences and needs. While it may not be completely waterproof or shockproof, its dust and splash resistance provide peace of mind for everyday use, making it a compelling choice for those seeking a blend of style and functionality in their smartphone.
Price list: Affordable and competitive
The OPPO A18 is priced at RM499, and it comes with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. You can also expand the storage up to 1TB with a microSD card. The phone is available in two color options: Glowing Blue and Glowing Black. You can purchase the OPPO A18 from OPPO’s official online store, authorized dealers, or chain store partners.
Here’s a table that summarizes the price and specifications of the OPPO A18 in Malaysia:
|4GB + 128GB||None||RM499|
|4GB + 128GB||Free gift box (worth RM99)||RM499|
Conclusion: Should You Buy the OPPO A18?
The OPPO A18 is a decent smartphone for its price, but it also has some drawbacks that you should consider before buying it. Here are some pros and cons of the OPPO A18:
The Oppo A18 is packed with features designed to enhance your smartphone experience. Here’s a quick rundown of its standout attributes:
- Immersive Display: Enjoy a 6.56-inch HD+ display with a high 90Hz refresh rate and a responsive 90Hz touch sampling rate. This combination ensures a smooth and snappy touch experience, perfect for gaming and everyday use.
- Powerful Performance: Equipped with a MediaTek Helio G85 chipset, the Oppo A18 handles casual gaming and multitasking with ease, providing a lag-free and efficient user experience.
- Long-Lasting Battery: With a generous 5000mAh battery, the Oppo A18 offers extended usage, easily lasting an entire day of moderate use. Plus, it supports reverse charging, allowing you to power up other devices on the go.
- Dust and Splash Resistance: Sporting an IP54 rating, this device can withstand exposure to water splashes and dust, adding a layer of durability and reliability.
- Convenient Fingerprint Sensor: The side-mounted fingerprint sensor on the Oppo A18 provides fast and convenient unlocking, ensuring your device is readily accessible while maintaining security.
- Feature-Rich Software: Running on ColorOS 13.1, based on Android 12, this device offers a host of useful features. Highlights include Three-Finger Translate with Google Lens for quick translations, Five-Grade Access Control for enhanced security, and Deep Phone Optimizer for smoother performance.
In summary, the Oppo A18 combines a smooth display, robust performance, extended battery life, and handy software features, all within a durable and secure package. Whether you’re a gamer, multitasker, or simply seeking an all-around reliable smartphone, the Oppo A18 has much to offer.
- Modest Camera Configuration: The Oppo A18 incorporates a dual rear camera system featuring an 8MP primary camera alongside a 2MP bokeh camera. However, in comparison to other phones within its segment, this camera setup may not deliver the same level of photographic prowess, potentially affecting your overall photography experience.
- Outdated Waterdrop Notch: The phone’s 5MP front camera is accommodated within a waterdrop notch, a design that, to some, may appear outdated and consumes a portion of the display’s screen real estate. While functional, it may not align with the sleek aesthetics seen in more contemporary smartphone designs.
- No 3.5mm Headphone Jack: The Oppo A18 lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack, necessitating the use of either wireless earphones or an adapter to connect conventional wired headphones. This consideration highlights the need for audio accessories that accommodate the absence of a direct headphone connection.
The OPPO A18 is a decent option if you’re on the hunt for an affordable smartphone boasting a seamless display and substantial battery life.
Nevertheless, individuals with a penchant for photography or gaming should consider exploring alternatives that provide superior camera capabilities or enhanced performance.
The OPPO A18 is best suited for those in need of a straightforward smartphone tailored for everyday activities such as web browsing, messaging, video streaming, and voice calls.